I had an epiphany today as I cooked dinner. I was thinking about my life, my blog, my husband (who was in the bathroom, cutting his hair & kept calling me to check it out), my purpose…. and as I was trying to figure out how to work out this blogging thing (because it takes me a LOOONG time to write a typical post), it dawned on me: It’s the SMALL VICTORIES in life that make me a Striving Wife!!
Basically, I’ve been struggling about what to blog about for some time now… I’ve been reading tons of books about marriage and being a wife, (which are great!) trying to write about the things in there that strike me as “WOW”…. HUGE areas that need to change …. but, while the books and the information are good and helpful, overall it’s been feeling dry. Boring. Lifeless. It makes me feel like I’m painting the picture that marriage is a struggle, the constant battle of my flesh versus my spirit, with my husband thrown in the middle.
Okay, maybe that’s the case for some marriages… but I’m guessing that that’s NOT the norm for most of us out there. I think most of us have GREAT marriages, of course with some room for improvement!
So, it got me thinking…. most days, I’m not struggling to overcome some obstacle that’s threatening the well-being of my marriage. (Even if it seems that way, since those are the topics of most of my blog posts.) Most days, Jason & I blissfully go through our day, laughing, talking, cuddling, checking our Facebook/blog/Twitter/email… And on these days, where there are no battles of will or tearful meltdowns and all hormones are in check, I have absolutely no clue as to what I should blog about!!!
My thoughts are, “Well, what am I striving about today? Nothing really… Hmm. No blog post today I guess.” Or, I’ll go dig out one of my books and try to pull something from there. The result: either no blog post, or 2 hours worth of research and writing to come up with something which might be good. Or not.
This brings me back to my epiphany… I NEED TO CELEBRATE THE SMALL VICTORIES! I NEED TO BLOG ABOUT THE SMALL AREAS WHERE I STRIVE AND SUCCEED!!
I am not necessarily a striving wife just because I overcame a large anger/pride/etc issue… I am a striving wife because I DAILY die to myself, DAILY make small sacrifices, and DAILY submit in various areas to my husband.
Think about your daily routine…. and then commend yourself for all the ways that you have shown yourself to be a striving wife TODAY!! It’s easy… just list out the little things you did today for your husband! I’ll start…
Today, I was a striving wife because…
- I picked up the empty trash containers & brought them inside (usually his job) because I knew Jason was running late to his 2nd job.
- I picked out a new recipe that I thought he would like, and cooked it for dinner.
- I paused in my dinner preparations to give my husband my undivided attention when he needed help cutting his hair.
- I gladly finished doing the dishes after Jason got most of the way through them.
- I told him several times how cute he looked.
- I did the laundry.
Simple things….. yet I did them all with a heart to please both God and my husband. Other things that might make you a striving wife:
- Spending extra time with your in-laws.
- Cutting excess spending to save money.
- Staying up later than your normal bedtime to talk, cuddle, or be intimate with your husband.
- Getting up earlier than necessary to cook breakfast for your husband or family.
- Praising your husband’s efforts at work or throughout the home.
- Going to see an action movie, even when you’d rather see a chick flick.
Simple things… yet they make a world of difference throughout your day!! Don’t be discouraged if you get into a fight with your husband, or seem to be struggling submitting in one area or another… be ENCOURAGED because there are so many OTHER areas that you are fabulous in!!
So, I would like to encourage you in this: Look at the little things you do throughout the day to please your husband, and try to add more in. Little by little, they will all add up to you being an EXCELLENT WIFE!!!
Keep on striving!!!
PS - I’d love to hear the areas you strive daily in! Leave a comment, stories, prayer requests, or anything else, below!!