Today’s post will address the criticism that wives will face when they decide to fulfill the role that God has designed them for.
The society that we live in seems to be very tolerant to every religion, every sexual preference, every alternative lifestyle - except when it involves Christianity. So to decide to live your life as a submissive wife, striving after God’s own heart… well, that’s just against every fiber of our culture. (Don’t believe me? Read what Snopes.com had to say about the 1950’s Good Wife Guide!)
But, then again, aren’t we strangers and aliens in this world (1 Peter 2:11)? Meant to be in this world, but not really of it? We’re SUPPOSED to be set apart!! We’re supposed to be a light in a dark place! (Matthew 5:16)
The Bible warns us that people are NOT going to like us.
If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. (John 15:19)
So, here’s two things to take from this thought:
- It’s okay to be a submissive, respectful wife! You don’t have to identify with the wives on “Desperate Housewives” or even “Everybody Loves Raymond”! It’s okay to identify with June Cleaver! It’s RIGHT to not belittle or mock your husband to your friends! You’re not SUPPOSED to be like the rest of the world! (Thank GOD for that!)
- If the world thinks you’re crazy, you’re doing something right! Conversely, if the world loves you, you’re doing something wrong. If you “fit in” well with husband-bashing wives, you are not separating yourself from the world. God does not look approvingly on that at all: Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. (1 John 2:15) <– God’s words, not mine!!
So, what now? What if you realize that you’re not “set apart” from the world? Here are a few steps to take to get back on track:
- Confess it to God: If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
- Repent: It involves so much more than just confessing - you must now change your ways.. TURN from your sins! (2 Chronicles 7:14)
- Renew your mind: Meditate on Scripture, read books about being a Godly wife, and pray daily for transformation. (Romans 12:2)
- Live right! Treat your husband well, stand firm against your friends (or any other negative influence), and always strive to do the right thing, and God will be glorified! (1 Peter 2:12; Matthew 5:16)
What are your thoughts?
Keep on striving!